Just a few days ago, Microsoft launched Azure App Service, a new cloud-based service that streamlines the app building process for both mobile and web. It combines tools for “automating business processes across cloud services and a new service for building and consuming APIs.” Though the company already had some existing tools, these services are being combined into one package. This is just one of many new technologies in the mobile development industry.
When you hire a mobile development team, it’s important to understand what options are available to your business. That’s why we’ve put together a list of some of the best tools out there for mobile and multi-platform development.
First, depending on where you are in the development process, you have to determine what type of app platform works best for you, and there are three options: native, hybrid and web.
- Native mobile apps: When you think of applications, you’re probably thinking of native mobile apps. They are designed to be “native” to one platform, whether it’s Apple iOS, Google’s Android or Windows Phone. The native platform can be advantageous because it tends to optimize user experience. Because it was developed specifically for the platform, it can operate more quickly and intuitively.
- Web apps: Responsive websites switch to a different design when they are accessed from a mobile device. Adaptive web applications, on the other hand, adjusts to fit the different screen sizes of mobile devices. For these apps, the design doesn’t change. Web apps are built using the most popular programming languages, but they can’t use hardware on mobile devices or be sold in any app stores.
- Hybrid mobile apps: These apps can be installed on devices just like native apps can, but they run through web browsers. All hybrid apps are developed through the HTML5 programming language. Though hybrid apps are not as fast or reliable as native apps, they have big potential for streamlining the development process itself. Because you don’t have to build and maintain apps for separate platforms, your business stands to save time and resources. It’s ideal for apps that primarily deliver content.
The fact is that most businesses use multi-platform mobile app formatting. They need to find solutions to develop cross-formatted apps. And though hybrid app development can be a complicated process, the end product is more popular with consumers and more marketable as a result. There are a wide variety of high-quality tools designed specifically for multi-platform use. Here are just five of the great options available that your business’s development partner could make use of.
- Widget Pad: This tool is a “collaborative, open-source environment” for developing smartphone apps. It features source code editing, debugging, collaboration, management, versioning and distribution services. It can be used to create apps for the most popular operating systems.
- MoSync: MoSync is based on standard web programing, offering the developer “integrated compliers, libraries, device profiles and other useful tools.” It offers support for several operating systems, including Windows Mobile, Android, Symbian and more.
- Appcelerator: This tool aids in the development of native mobile apps in web programming languages. It is used on over 1,000 native apps per month and gives users access to over 300 APIs as well as location information. Your team can also customize metrics for actions and events using this service, and all data can be stored in the cloud.
- RhoMobile: This service comes with Rhodes, which is an open-source framework based on the Ruby programming language. It enables you to create native apps over a range of operating systems and devices. What makes RhoMobile such a great tool is that it allows you to only code once for all the operating systems it supports. Your team can build apps for most major smartphones quickly and accurately.
Now that you understand what your options are when it comes to application development, you need the right team to help your business achieve your goals. GlowTouch has considerable experience in mobile application development. Our dedicated and talented team is ready to design and build the sophisticated mobile application that meets your needs. Learn more about our wide range of services, from development to launch. For more information, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org